The airship gondola presents a framework containing:
- a two-person crew;
- a power plant;
- a fuel tank;
- a ballast container;
- a self-oriented landing gear leg;
- fly-navigational equipment on an instrument panel;
- the power plant controls;
- a rudder and elevator control handle;
- gas and air valves controls.
The airship gondola has a large area of glazing.
The power plant consists of a petrol engine Rotax 912ULS, with actuates two propeller mounted on the turnable beam via mechanical rubber belt transmission. It provides the airship with the effective thrust deflection up 75 degrees up and down 45 degrees.
The telescopic self-orienting leg of a wheel chassis is mounted on the gondola to absorb the impact energy by a rough landing as well as for moving on the ground when parked.
The following requirements concerning the airship design and layout were taken into consideration during design and production of the airship:
- high consumer effectiveness;
- excellent look;
- original and harmonic appearance;
- design simplicity.
- The thrust vector device is operated by a handle mounted on the left of the pilot. The handle can be fixed in any position with a special holder. A thrust lever is mounted on the handle.
The airship power supply system is designed to supply electricity to the aerodynamic rudder control system, rudder (reserve) electric engine, navigational and control equipment, and the inner suspension system.
The airship Au-12M meets the requirements of the airship airworthiness criteria authorized by the Russian Federation General Aviation Register of 09.10.96 (fully complies with US FAA Airship Design Criteria).